Living in Canada

Accommodation in Canada

Many Canadian families welcome international students. This may be an effective way for you to improve your English or French, learn about daily life in Canada, and meet new, friendly people. Home stays also offer a more stable and secure environment for younger people coming to study in Canada. Typically, a home stay consists of a Canadian family hosting a student in their home while the student attends classes in Canada. Meals and a private, furnished room are provided in the home, and the host family welcomes and encourages participation in family and community activities.Many schools have accommodation conveniently located on or near their campus. Rooms can vary in size and in quality, and many dormitories have shared kitchens, toilets, showers and laundry facilities. There is usually an option of having either a shared or private room, and dormitories are usually separated by gender. In some cases, there are cafeterias and meal plans that can be included in the cost of the room. Most dormitories come furnished, and are an ideal way to become involved in campus activities and meet other students.Renting is an option open to students, but price, quality and availability vary greatly. Rents are often quite high in the major cities, and places are not always available. Many students share accommodation to keep costs down and usually find places to meet their needs and preferences. Many schools offer an off-campus housing service, which can provide affordable listings that are near the campus. At this service centre, those seeking shared accommodations can also find roommates. Once on campus, you will often find a variety of postings throughout the campus advertising nearby housing, but it is always best to make arrangements before coming to Canada.


Canadian Health Insurance for International Students ™

The Canadian Education Centre Network is pleased to be working with Ingle International to provide international students with access to comprehensive health insurance for any study destination in Canada.

Ingle International offers complete-coverage policies as well as policies that supplement the provincial medical coverage available in some provinces. All policies include 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week assistance for international students. Coverage is available for hospital and doctors visits, air ambulance, prescription drugs, dental emergencies, legal and diplomatic referral, assistance with lost documents, contacting relatives, interpretation and translation services, and more.



International Students, 1998-1999 Tuition Fees, General Arts and Science programs (In Canadian Dollars) 


 Undergraduate  Graduate
 Newfoundland  $6,660  $1,896 – $3,549
 Prince Edward Island  $5,031 – $6,731  $3,878 – $5,578
 Nova Scotia  $5,456 – $9,180  $3,160 – $10,270
 New Brunswick  $4,580 – $8,080  $4,920 – $5,630
 Quebec  $8,265 – $9,180  $7,450 – $15,000
 Ontario  $6,500 – $12,202  $7,450 – $15,000
 Manitoba  $4,696 – $5,017  $4,212 – $6,890
 Saskatchewan  $5,625 – $8,127  $2,813 – $5,625
 Alberta  $4,845 – $6,880  $4,684 – $15,000
 British Columbia  $3,784 – $13,830  $2,100 – $17,000


    Study Abroad


    Average cost of accommodation in Canada is about CDN $ 400- 800 per month.


     Expenses (annual in U.S. Dollars)
     School-Provided Home stays  $ 400 – $800 per month
     School-Provided Residence/Dormitory  $3000 – $7500 per year
     Off Campus Housing  $250 – $ 750 per month


    Posted in